Monday, January 21, 2008

First Blog

Hey this is Leigh,

So this is my first blog actually, which is pretty neat. But the studio so far is really interesting and somewhat unconventional, which I like a lot. Doing the chicken coup project, which is at a smaller scale to a building is proving to be quite a challenge. But I have already learned about 10x as much about chicken coops as I knew before, and it's funny how similar the division of space for chickens parallels that of humans. Each needs their own amount of space and each is very picky about the type.

Right now I am starting to explore the concept of this chicken tractor idea, as far as the portability aspect of it, and synthesizing that idea with a more stationary form of a coop. Rather than mobility being the focus of my coop, it is more so an option, but it is one that forces all the other elements to account for it. So weighting and balance of the design has to account for the mobility; almost like a suitcase where heavy things are backed at the bottom closer to the wheels to aid the feasibility of travel.

At the beginning now, I am keeping the design very simple and weight/balance driven. Design-wise it is nowhere near where I want it to be, but that is fine, its just the foundation to which I will branch out and then start to bring in the characteristics and ideas my partner Aaron and I have been exploring. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments: